Dr. Zhou’s research interests mainly focus on the identification, functions and molecular mechanisms of the genes involved in the chronic hepatitis B and liver cancer.
- Genetic susceptibility to chronic hepatitis B and liver cancer in Chinese population. By use of single nucleotide polymorphism (SNP) and copy number variation (CNV) as markers, genetic association studies were used to identify the susceptibility genes which confer risk or progress of these disorders. The designs of genetic association studies include candidate-gene based and genome-wide based strategies. The studies were conducted in case-control population, family trios and prospective cohorts.
- Integrative multi-omics studies on HCC. By using a variety of "omics" technologies such as high-density microarrays and deep sequencing, a plurality of levels of "omics" data, including genome-scale profiles of SNPs, CNVs, DNA methylation, expression-profiles of mRNA, lncRNA, microRNA and protein, were obtained. By integration of these different types of omics data, we try to pinpoint the molecular networks of key genes involved in tumorigenesis and progression of the HCC.
- Functional studies of disease-related genes. Focused on the diseases-related (including chronic HBV infection and HCC-related) genes identified by our group, we will conduct functional studies in molecular, cellular, tissue and whole-animal levels, and clarify the mechanisms underlying these disorders. We will also explore the relationships between the occurrence, progression and the prognosis of the diseases and the abnormal expression or somatic mutation in pathogenic genes among large clinical samples, which may be used in the early diagnosis, molecular classification, clinical outcomes and prognosis judgments for diseases in the future.
1. Zhang X, Cao P, Zhai Y, Zhang H, Cui Y, Wu Z, Yuan X, Wang Z, Li P, Yu L, Xia X, He F*, Zhou G*. Association between the p73 G4C14-to-A4T14 polymorphism and risk of nasopharyngeal carcinoma: a case-control and family-based study. Carcinogenesis. 2014;35(9):1977-82.
2. He M, Wu C, Xu J, Guo H, Yang H, Zhang X, Sun J, Yu D, Zhou L, Peng T, He Y, Gao Y, Yuan J, Deng Q, Dai X, Tan A, Feng Y, Zhang H, Min X, Yang X, Zhu J, Zhai K, Chang J, Qin X, Tan W, Hu Y, Lang M, Tao S, Li Y, Li Y, Feng J, Li D, Kim ST, Zhang S, Zhang H, Zheng SL, Gui L, Wang Y, Wei S, Wang F, Fang W, Liang Y, Zhai Y, Chen W, Miao X, Zhou G, Hu FB, Lin D, Mo Z, Wu T*. A genome wide association study of genetic loci that influence tumour biomarkers cancer antigen 19-9, carcinoembryonic antigen and α fetoprotein and their associations with cancer risk. Gut. 2014;63(1):143-51.
3. Pan L, Zhang L, Zhang W, Wu X, Li Y, Yan B, Zhu X, Liu X, Yang C, Xu J, Zhou G, Xu A, Li H, Liu Y. A genome-wide association study identifies polymorphisms in the HLA-DR region associated with non-response to hepatitis B vaccination in Chinese Han populations. Hum Mol Genet. 2014;23(8):2210-9.
4. Jiang DK, Sun J, Cao G, Liu Y, Lin D, Gao YZ, Ren WH, Long XD, Zhang H, Ma XP, Wang Z, Jiang W, Chen TY, Gao Y, Sun LD, Long JR, Huang HX, Wang D, Yu H, Zhang P, Tang LS, Peng B, Cai H, Liu TT, Zhou P, Liu F, Lin X, Tao S, Wan B, Sai-Yin HX, Qin LX, Yin J, Liu L, Wu C, Pei Y, Zhou YF, Zhai Y, Lu PX, Tan A, Zuo XB, Fan J, Chang J, Gu X, Wang NJ, Li Y, Liu YK, Zhai K, Zhang H, Hu Z, Liu J, Yi Q, Xiang Y, Shi R, Ding Q, Zheng W, Shu XO, Mo Z, Shugart YY, Zhang XJ, Zhou G, Shen H, Zheng SL, Xu J, Yu L*. Genetic variants in STAT4 and HLA-DQ genes confer risk of hepatitis B virus-related hepatocellular carcinoma. Nat Genet. 2013;45(1):72-5.
5. Hu Z, Liu Y, Zhai X, Dai J, Jin G, Wang L, Zhu L, Yang Y, Liu J, Chu M, Wen J, Xie K, Du G, Wang Q, Zhou Y, Cao M, Liu L, He Y, Wang Y, Zhou G, Jia W, Lu J, Li S, Liu J, Yang H, Shi Y, Zhou W, Shen H. New loci associated with chronic hepatitis B virus infection in Han Chinese. Nat Genet. 2013;45(12):1499-503.
6. Wang Z, Feng K, Yue M, Lu X, Zheng Q, Zhang H, Zhai Y, Li P, Yu L, Cai M, Zhang X, Kang X, Shi W, Xia X, Chen X, Cao P, Li Y, Chen H, Ling Y, Li Y, He F*, Zhou G*. A non-synonymous SNP in the NOS2 associated with septic shock in patients with sepsis in Chinese populations. Hum Genet. 2013;132(3):337-46.
7. Zhang Y, Zhang H, Zhai Y, Wang Z, Ma F, Wang H, Li P, Zhang Y, Yu L, Cui Y, He F*, Zhou G*. A functional tandem-repeats polymorphism in the downstream of TERT is associated with the risk of nasopharyngeal carcinoma in Chinese population. BMC Med. 2011;9:106.
8. Zhang H, Zhai Y, Hu Z, Wu C, Qian J, Jia W, Ma F, Huang W, Yu L, Yue W, Wang Z, Li P, Zhang Y, Liang R, Wei Z, Cui Y, Xie W, Cai M, Yu X, Yuan Y, Xia X, Zhang X, Yang H, Qiu W, Yang J, Gong F, Chen M, Shen H, Lin D, Zeng YX, He F*, Zhou G*. Genome-wide association study identifies 1p36.22 as a new susceptibility locus for hepatocellular carcinoma in chronic hepatitis B virus carriers. Nat Genet. 2010;42(9):755-8.
9. Bei JX, Li Y, Jia WH, Feng BJ, Zhou G, Chen LZ, Feng QS, Low HQ, Zhang H, He F, Tai ES, Kang T, Liu ET, Liu J, Zeng YX*. A genome-wide association study of nasopharyngeal carcinoma identifies three new susceptibility loci. Nat Genet. 2010;42(7):599-603.
10. Duan X, Yue W, Li Z, Liu L, Li Y, He F, Zhu D, Zhou G*, Wang S*. Single-nucleotide polymorphism (SNP) genotyping using cationic conjugated polymers in homogeneous solution. Nat Protoc. 2009;4(6):984-91.
11. Deng G?, Zhou G?, Zhang R, Zhai Y, Zhao W, Yan Z, Deng C, Yuan X, Xu B, Dong X, Zhang X, Zhang X, Yao Z, Shen Y, Qiang B, Wang Y, He F*. Regulatory polymorphisms in the promoter of CXCL10 gene and disease progression in male hepatitis B virus carriers. Gastroenterology. 2008;134(3):716-26.
12. Zhi L, Zhou G*, Zhang H, Zhai Y, Yang H, Zhang F, Wang S, Wei M, Cao W, He F*. Lack of support for an association between CLEC4M homozygosity and protection against SARS coronavirus infection. Nat Genet. 2007;39(6):692-4.
13. Zhai Y, Qiu W, Dong X, Zhang X, Xie W, Zhang H, Yuan X, Zhou G*, He F*. Functional polymorphisms in the promoters of MMP-1, MMP-2, MMP-3, MMP-9, MMP-12 and MMP-13 are not associated with hepatocellular carcinoma risk. Gut. 2007;56(3):445-7.
14. Zhou G*, Zhai Y, Cui Y, Qiu W, Yang H, Zhang X, Dong X, He Y, Yao K, Zhang H, Peng Y, Yuan X, Zhi L, Zhang X, He F*. Functional Polymorphisms and Haplotype in the Promoter of MMP-2 Gene Are Associated with Risk of Nasopharyngeal Carcinoma. Hum Mutat. 2007;28 (11):1091-7.
15. Zhou G*, Zhai Y, Cui Y, Zhang X, Dong X, Yang H, He Y, Yao K, Zhang H, Zhi L, Yuan X, Qiu W, Zhang X, Shen Y, Qiang B, He F*. MDM2 Promoter SNP309 is Associated with Risk of Occurrence and Advanced Lymph Node Metastasis of Nasopharyngeal Carcinoma in Chinese Population. Clin Cancer Res. 2007;13(9):2627-33.
16. Zhai Y, Zhou G*, Deng G, Xie W, Dong X, Zhang X, Yu L, Yang H, Yuan X, Zhang H, Zhi L, Yao Z, Shen Y, Qiang B, He F*. Estrogen Receptor Alpha Polymorphisms Associated with Susceptibility to Hepatocellular Carcinoma in Hepatitis B Virus Carriers. Gastroenterology. 2006;130(7):2001-9.
17. Zhang H, Zhou G*, Zhi L, Yang H, Zhai Y, Dong X, Zhang X, Gao X, Zhu Y, He F*. Association between Mannose-Binding Lectin Gene Polymorphisms and Susceptibility to Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome Coronavirus Infection. J Infect Dis. 2005;192(8):1355-61.
18. He Y?, Zhou G?, Zhai Y, Dong X, Lv L, He F*, Yao K*. Association of PLUNC gene polymorphisms with susceptibility to nasopharyngeal carcinoma in a Chinese population. J Med Genet. 2005;42(2):172-6.
19. Deng G?, Zhou G?, Zhai Y, Li S, Li X, Li Y, Zhang R, Yao Z, Shen Y, Qiang B, Wang Y, He F*. Association of estrogen receptor alpha polymorphisms with susceptibility to chronic hepatitis B virus infection. Hepatology. 2004;40(2):318-26.
20. Zhou G, Zhai Y, Dong X, Zhang X, He F, Zhou K, Zhu Y, Wei H, Yao Z, Zhong S, Shen Y, Qiang B, He F*. Haplotype structure and evidence for positive selection at the human IL13 locus. Mol Biol Evol. 2004;21(1):29-35.